Let’s talk food!
I love food. I love to eat it, I love to prepare it, I love to cook it and bake it, I love to smell it as it cooks… I just LOVE it. I discovered early on that I had a pretty refined taste palette and a natural knack for cooking and baking. I would forage through cookbooks to find a recipe that sounded decent and tweak it until it was perfect. The internet has added a layer to my recipe hunts that I am eternally grateful for, but I do still enjoy my cookbooks.
For me, time in the kitchen acts as a form of therapy. I enjoy the measuring, slicing, blanching, and baking on a cathartic level. I love to experiment with spices and ingredients to find the perfect blend while in my zone. The kitchen is one of my happy places and always has been. As such, I have decided that I want to start sharing recipes on occasion with my readers because, honestly, they are just bursting out of me and I love to talk food. (Friday Food Chats? Menu Misadventures? Eh, I’ll figure out a theme…maybe)
I’m no food blogger, so my pictures will probably be very basic and scarce, but I promise the food will be delicious. Especially this first recipe, it will change your life.
First up is a very easy recipe for sticky BBQ chicken tenders. My toddler ate 3 entire tenders, which is an amazing fete considering there is no potato in the recipe (what is it with kids and potatoes??). My husband asked me if I could jar the sauce and stockpile it (which he does do, by the way, there’s usually some in my fridge). So, needless to say this is a crowd pleaser, for sure. It can easily be paired with pretty much any side, since it’s so versatile, but I rotate between roasted potatoes and wild rice; then add whatever fresh veggies I can steam up, and always a salad. Also, I should note that my husband and I love barbecue sauce and we always try new ones, sometimes I even make my own, but we ALWAYS come back to Sweet Baby Rays. Something about that damn sauce taste like bottled bits of heaven, so do your self a favor and buy a bottle and use it frequently and liberally!
Sticky BBQ Chicken Tenders
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 lb. chicken tenders
- 2 c. panko breadcrumbs
- 3 large Eggs, beaten
- sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. barbecue sauce
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- Juice of 2 limes, or 1/4 c. lime juice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large resealable Ziploc bag, combine flour and chicken. Shake until fully coated.
- Set up a dredging station: In one bowl, add panko breadcrumbs and in another bowl whisk eggs and add 2 tablespoons water. Dip chicken in beaten eggs, then panko until fully coated. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake until golden and crispy, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, warm barbecue sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and garlic powder.
- Coat baked chicken in sauce and serve.